The Mahindra Thar is one of the most iconic and popular off-road vehicles in India. The new-generation Thar was launched in 2020 with a host of improvements and features, making it a more modern and comfortable SUV. But how safe is the new Thar? Let’s dive into the crash test ratings and safety features of 2023 Mahindra Thar.
1. Mahindra Thar GNCAP Crash Test Ratings
According to the Global New Car Assessment Programmed (GNCAP), the new Mahindra Thar has achieved an encouraging four-star rating for both adult and child occupants in the latest round of #SaferCarsForIndia crash tests. The GNCAP tests evaluated various scenarios, including front offset, side, flat, and rear barrier tests, along with pedestrian protection.
The new Thar scored 12.52 points out of 17 in adult safety and 41.11 points out of 49 in child safety. GNCAP stated that the new Thar offers good protection to the driver and passenger’s head and neck during a frontal collision conducted at 64 kmph. The driver’s chest and passenger’s chest showed adequate and good protection, respectively.
2. Structural Integrity and Footwell Area
The structure of the Thar was rated as stable, but the footwell area was rated as unstable, not being capable of withstanding further loadings. Despite this, both adult knee areas were optimized to reduce significant injuries. In the crash tests, both child occupants received almost full protection.
3. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Safety Provisions
The Thar also meets the side impact UN 95 regulation. GNCAP tested Thar’s ESC according to UN regulation. While ESC is not fitted as standard on the Thar, the model met minimum regulatory requirements. However, the car showed an unstable dynamic behavior, leading GNCAP to recommend a review and improvement.
The Thar offers standard ISOFIX anchorages and top tether together with 3-point belts for all seating positions, ensuring enhanced safety for child occupants. The SUV is also equipped with features such as rear parking sensors and a camera, tyre pressure monitoring system, speed alert system, and seat belt reminder, further enhancing safety.
4. Price and Conclusion
The Mahindra Thar is priced between Rs 12.78 lakh to Rs 20.42 lakh ex-showroom as of August 2023. With its rugged looks, powerful performance, versatile capabilities, and advanced safety features, the Thar emerges as one of the safest SUVs in India.
In conclusion, the new Mahindra Thar has performed admirably in the GNCAP crash tests, earning a four-star rating for its safety performance. While the footwell area remains a concern, the SUV boasts numerous safety provisions, making it a strong contender in the Indian market for those seeking adventure with safety in mind.
5. Crash Test Ratings and Safety Features Table
Here is a table with some information on the crash test ratings and safety features of the Mahindra Thar:
|Front offset crash test at 64 kmph||4 stars (12.52/17)||Dual front airbags|
|Front offset test at 64 kmph with child dummy||4 stars (41.11/49)||ISOFIX|
|Side moving barrier test at 50 kmph||Not disclosed||Side impact UN 95 regulation|
|Flat barrier test at 50 kmph||Not disclosed||Curtain airbags|
|Side pole impact test at 32 kmph||Not disclosed||ESP with roll-over mitigation|
|Rear moving barrier test at 50 kmph||Not disclosed||Hill-hold control|
|Pedestrian protection test||Not disclosed||ABS with EBD|
Also Read This: New 2023 Honda Elevate Crash Test Ratings and Safety Features
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Is the Mahindra Thar safe for families?
- Yes, the Mahindra Thar has earned a four-star rating for both adult and child occupants in crash tests conducted by GNCAP, making it a safe choice for families.
- Does the Thar come with electronic stability control?
- While the Thar meets the side impact UN 95 regulation, electronic stability control is not fitted as standard. However, the car meets the minimum regulatory requirements.
- Are there safety features for child occupants?
- Yes, the Thar comes with standard ISOFIX anchorages and top tether, ensuring enhanced safety for child occupants.
- Does the Thar have rear parking sensors?
- Yes, the Thar is equipped with rear parking sensors and a camera to aid in parking.
- What is the price range of the Mahindra Thar?
- The Mahindra Thar is priced between Rs 12.48 lakh to Rs 20.42 lakh ex-showroom.
I hope you find this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. Thank you for reading! 😊