Adipurush is a big-budget movie based on the epic Ramayana, directed by Om Raut and starring Prabhas, Kriti Sanon, Saif Ali Khan and others. The movie released on 16 June 2023 and received mixed reactions from the critics and the audience. Here are some of the good, bad and ugly aspects of the Adipurush Movie Review.
The Good – Adipurush Movie Review
- The movie has a star-studded cast, with Prabhas playing the role of Raghava (Lord Rama) with grace and dignity. Prabhas, who is known for his blockbuster Baahubali series, has once again proved his mettle as a pan-India star with his convincing portrayal of the righteous and valiant prince. Kriti Sanon is also impressive as Janaki (Sita), the wife of Raghava who gets abducted by Lankesh (Ravana).
- Kriti, who made her debut in Telugu cinema with this film, has shown her versatility and talent as an actress with her graceful and devoted performance. Saif Ali Khan plays the role of Lankesh with charisma and intensity, while Sunny Singh and Devdatta Nage are effective as Sesh (Lakshmana) and Bajrang (Hanuman), the faithful companions of Raghava.
- Saif, who previously worked with Om Raut in Tanhaji, has delivered a powerful performance as the antagonist who challenges Raghava’s ideals and values. Sunny and Devdatta have also done justice to their roles as the loyal brothers of Raghava and Bajrang respectively.
- The movie has a majestic look and feel, with elaborate sets, costumes and props that depict the ancient times of the epic. The movie has been shot on a grand scale and scope, with lavish locations such as Ayodhya, Lanka, Dandakaranya and Kishkindha.
- The movie also has some thrilling action scenes, such as the clash between Raghava and Lankesh, the bridge-building by Bajrang’s army, and the final attack on Lanka. The movie has used advanced technology and techniques to create realistic and immersive action sequences that keep the viewers on the edge of their seats.
- The movie has a melodious and memorable soundtrack composed by Ajay-Atul and Sachet–Parampara, with songs that match the mood and theme of the movie. The movie has six songs that range from romantic to devotional to motivational.
- Some of the popular songs are Jai Shri Ram, Adipurush Aarambh Hai Prachand Hai, Janaki Jananiya Ram Siya Ram, Bajrang Bali Ki Jai Ho, Lankesh Ka Antim Yudh Hai and Adipurush Mahima Hai Anant Hai. The background music by Sanchit Balhara and Ankit Balhara also adds to the drama and emotion of the movie.
The Bad – Adipurush Movie Review
- The movie suffers from Bad CGI and visual effects, which often look fake and cheesy. The movie also relies too much on green screen and chroma key techniques, which make some scenes look unnatural and disconnected.
- The movie could have used more practical effects and realistic locations. The movie’s VFX have been widely criticised by the critics and the audience alike for being below par and disappointing. Some of the scenes that have been mocked for their poor VFX are the flying monkeys, the fire arrows, the ten-headed Lankesh and the giant eagle Jatayu.
- The movie suffers from a weak script and dialogues, which fail to capture the depth and complexity of the characters and their motivations. The movie also deviates from the original source material in some aspects, such as the portrayal of Lankesh as a sympathetic anti-hero rather than a pure villain, which may not appeal to the purists and traditionalists.
- The movie’s script and dialogues have been panned by the critics and the audience alike for being shallow and cliched. Some of the dialogues that have been ridiculed for their corniness are “Sita is the daughter of India”.
- The movie suffers from a dragged second half and a long runtime of 179 minutes, which tests the patience of the viewers. The movie could have been trimmed and edited more tightly to avoid unnecessary scenes and subplots that slow down the pace of the movie.
- The movie’s second half and runtime have been slammed by the critics and the audience alike for being boring and tedious. Some of the scenes that have been deemed as unnecessary and redundant are the flashback of Lankesh’s childhood, the romance between Raghava and Janaki, the cameo of Indrajeet (Vatsal Sheth) and the song and dance sequences.
Here are some excerpts from some of the reviews of the movie:
- “Adipurush is an epic disappointment that fails to live up to its hype and potential. Though the actors were praised for their performances, the film was criticised for its VFX and dialogues, which proved to be significant drawbacks.”
- “Adipurush’s VFX is a lesson to creators that simple graphics can go a long way – anyone who has watched Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayana from eons ago, will attest to the fact. Prabhas as Raghava is a baton rightly passed from Arun Govil, but the VFX…”
- “A lot of hype and controversy surrounding the movie Prabhas and Kriti Sanon’s Adipurush has hit the theatres in Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam & Kannada languages today. Will The Epic Drama Smash Box-Office Records?”
Adipurush Movie has also faced some controversies and backlash from various quarters. The movie was accused of hurting the religious sentiments of Hindus by showing Lankesh in a positive light and distorting the facts of Ramayana. Adipurush Movie was also opposed by some groups in Nepal who claimed that Sita was not the daughter of India but of Nepal. The movie was also boycotted by some fans of Prabhas who were unhappy with his choice of films and his pairing with Kriti Sanon.
The movie’s box office performance has also been affected by these factors, as well as by the COVID-19 pandemic and the piracy issues. Adipurush Movie box office collection on its first day is estimated to be around Rs 85 crore in India and Rs 130 crore worldwide, which is lower than expected for a film of this magnitude and budget. The Adipurush Movie box office collection may also drop further in the coming days due to the negative word-of-mouth and reviews.
People Also Read This :Adipurush Day 1 Collection & Public Reviews