Honda and Volkswagen are gearing up to launch their new SUVs in India later this year. The Honda Elevate and the vw taigun are both based on the same platform as their respective sister models, the Skoda Kushaq and the Hyundai Creta. Both SUVs promise to offer a premium and feature-rich experience to the customers, but how do they compare against each other? Let’s find out.
Design and Dimensions
The Honda Elevate and the vw taigun have distinct design languages that reflect their brand identities. The Elevate has a bold and boxy look with a massive grille, sleek LED headlights and DRLs, body cladding, squared wheel arches and 17-inch diamond cut alloy wheels. The taigun has a more dynamic and sporty look with a honeycomb grille, sharp LED headlights and DRLs, chrome accents, dual-tone roof rails and 17-inch dual-tone alloy wheels. The most striking feature of the taigun is the LED taillights that are connected by a black strip with the Volkswagen logo.
The dimensions of both SUVs are similar, as they share the same wheelbase of 2651 mm. However, the Elevate is slightly longer (4225 mm vs 4200 mm), wider (1780 mm vs 1760 mm) and taller (1625 mm vs 1612 mm) than the taigun. The ground clearance of the Elevate is also higher at 220 mm, compared to 188 mm for the taigun. The boot space of both SUVs is not yet revealed, but we expect them to be around 400 litres.
|Dimension||Honda Elevate||vw taigun|
|Length||4225 mm||4200 mm|
|Width||1780 mm||1760 mm|
|Height||1625 mm||1612 mm|
|Wheelbase||2651 mm||2651 mm|
|Ground Clearance||220 mm||188 mm|
Features and Safety
Both SUVs are loaded with features that enhance the comfort, convenience and safety of the occupants. Some of the common features include:
- A 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- A digital instrument cluster
- An electric sunroof
- A wireless phone charger
- Automatic climate control
- LED headlights and taillights
- Six airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Hill hold assist
- ISOFIX child seat mounts
Some of the features that are exclusive to the Elevate are:
- Honda Sensing: A radar-based advanced driver assistance system that offers features like automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist and high-beam assist
- Honda Connect: A connected car technology that offers features like remote engine start/stop, geo-fencing, live location tracking, vehicle health monitoring and emergency assistance
- Leather-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel
- Cooled glove box
- Ambient lighting
Some of the features that are exclusive to the taigun are:
- Ventilated front seats
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Hill descent control (only for AT)
- Paddle shifters (only for AT)
Engine and Transmission
Both SUVs are powered by two turbo-petrol engine options: a 1.0-litre three-cylinder unit and a 1.5-litre four-cylinder unit. The power and torque outputs of both engines are similar for both SUVs, as they share the same hardware. The 1.0-litre engine produces 115 PS of power and 178 Nm of torque, while the 1.5-litre engine produces 150 PS of power and 250 Nm of torque.
The transmission options for both SUVs are also similar, as they offer a six-speed manual, a six-speed torque converter (for the 1.0-litre engine) and a seven-speed DSG (for the 1.5-litre engine). There is no diesel engine on offer for either of them.
|Engine||Honda Elevate||vw taigun|
|Displacement||999 cc / 1498 cc||999 cc / 1498 cc|
|Power||115 PS / 150 PS||115 PS / 150 PS|
|Torque||178 Nm / 250 Nm||178 Nm / 250 Nm|
|Transmission||6-speed MT / 6-speed AT / 7-speed DSG||6-speed MT / 6-speed AT / 7-speed DSG|
Price and Rivals
The prices of both SUVs are expected to be revealed later this year, around September. We expect them to be priced in the range of Rs. 10 lakh to Rs. 17 lakh (ex-showroom). Both SUVs will compete with each other, as well as with other popular models in the segment, such as the Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Skoda Kushaq, Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara, Toyota Hyryder and MG Astor.
The Honda Elevate and the vw taigun are two promising SUVs that offer a lot of value to the customers. Both SUVs have their own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice between them will depend on the personal preferences and priorities of the buyers. The Elevate offers a more rugged and spacious design, a more advanced safety system, a higher ground clearance and a connected car technology. The taigun offers a more dynamic and sporty design, a more premium and stylish interior, ventilated front seats and a lower price tag. Both SUVs offer similar engine and transmission options, features and performance. Which one would you choose? Let us know in the comments below.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 9/6/2023
(1) Elevate to advance Honda’s SUV plans. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/specials/auto-focus/elevate-to-advance-hondas-suv-plans/article66950546.ece.
(2) Honda Elevate – MOST ASKED QUESTIONS – Expected Price, Launch Date & First Impression | Times Drive. https://www.timesnownews.com/videos/times-drive/honda-elevate-most-asked-questions-expected-price-launch-date-first-impression-times-drive-video-100882204.
(3) New Honda Elevate vs Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara vs Kia Seltos comparison. https://www.financialexpress.com/web-stories/auto/new-honda-elevate-vs-maruti-suzuki-grand-vitara-vs-kia-seltos-comparison/.
(4) Honda Elevate World Premier 2023 | Explore Features & Specifications. https://www.hondacarindia.com/campaign/honda-suv.
(5) Honda Elevate SUV Unveiled, Hyundai Creta Rival To Launch … – CarDekho. https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-news/honda-elevate-globally-unveiled-in-india-30952.htm.
(6) Honda Elevate Price – CarWale. https://www.carwale.com/honda-cars/elevate/.
(7) Taigun: India’s safest SUVW | GNCAP 5 star rating – Volkswagen. https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/models/taigun.html.
(8) Volkswagen Taigun Price – Images, Colours & Reviews – CarWale. https://www.carwale.com/volkswagen-cars/taigun/.
(9) Volkswagen Taigun – Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Taigun.
(10) Volkswagen Taigun Price (June Offers), Images, Reviews & Specs. https://www.zigwheels.com/newcars/Volkswagen/Taigun.
(11) Volkswagen Taigun Price, Images, Reviews and Specs – Autocar India. https://www.autocarindia.com/cars/volkswagen/taigun.