In This article we are going to compare Maruti Suzuki Engage vs Kia Carens. Maruti Suzuki and Kia are two of the most popular car brands in India, offering a range of vehicles for different segments and budgets. Both brands have recently launched their new premium MPVs (multi-purpose vehicles) in the Indian market in 2022 and 2023 respectively. These are the Maruti Suzuki Engage and the Kia Carens, which are expected to compete with each other as well as with other established players like the Toyota Innova Crysta and the Kia Carnival.
But how do these two new MPVs compare with each other in terms of design, features, performance, safety, and price? Let’s find out in this detailed comparison.
The Maruti Suzuki Engage is based on the Toyota Innova Hycross, which is a hybrid version of the popular Innova Crysta. The Engage has minor revisions to the exterior design, such as the lighting, grille, and bumper, to give it a distinct identity. The Engage also has a spacious and comfortable interior, with features like a 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system, a panoramic sunroof, powered Ottoman seats for the second row, dual-zone climate control, a powered tailgate, ventilated front seats, and more.
The Kia Carens is a compact yet spacious MPV that features a stylish and modern design with clean lines and a sleek profile. It has LED daytime running lights, LED headlamps, LED rear lights and LED fog lamps. It also has a dual-tone theme for the interior, with either Black and Beige or Triton Navy and Beige colour options. The cabin features front-seat ventilation, multi-function steering, a digital driver display, a 10.25-inch infotainment touchscreen, an eight-speaker Bose sound system, 64 colours of ambient lighting, a wireless charger, and electronically foldable middle-row seats for easier third-row access.
Maruti Suzuki Engage vs Kia Carens Dimensions
|Dimensions||Maruti Suzuki Engage||Kia Carens|
|Boot Space (L)||300||322|
Features : Maruti Suzuki Engage vs Kia Carens
Both the Maruti Suzuki Engage and the Kia Carens are loaded with features that make them attractive and convenient for the customers. Some of the common features that both MPVs offer are:
- A touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity
- A panoramic sunroof
- A rear-view camera
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Cruise control
- Automatic headlamps and wipers
- Steering-mounted controls
- Rear AC vents
However, there are some features that are exclusive to each MPV. For instance, the Maruti Suzuki Engage has:
- An ADAS (advanced driver assistance system) suite that includes features like lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, etc.
- A TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) highline that displays individual tyre pressures on the infotainment screen
- A powered tailgate that can be opened or closed by waving your foot under the rear bumper
- Ventilated front seats that can cool or heat the seat surface according to the weather
On the other hand, the Kia Carens has:
- A revolutionary iMT (intelligent manual transmission) technology that allows clutch-free driving with a manual gearbox
- A sky light sunroof that extends over the second and third rows of seats
- A digital driver display that shows various information like speedometer, tachometer, fuel level, trip meter, etc.
- An eight-speaker Bose sound system that delivers premium sound quality
- Sixty-four colours of ambient lighting that can be customized according to your mood
The Maruti Suzuki Engage and the Kia Carens both offer petrol and diesel engine options for the customers. The Engage petrol variant has a 2.0-litre engine that generates 172bhp and 188Nm of torque, along with an electric motor that adds 11bhp and 206Nm of torque. The Engage diesel variant has a 1.5-litre engine that produces 116bhp and 250Nm of torque. The Engage petrol variant comes with an e-CVT (electronic continuously variable transmission) unit, while the diesel variant comes with a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.
The Carens petrol variant has a 1.5-litre turbocharged engine that delivers 160bhp and 253Nm of torque, while the diesel variant has a 1.5-litre engine that churns out 115bhp and 250Nm of torque. The Carens petrol variant comes with an iMT or a seven-speed DCT (dual-clutch transmission) unit, while the diesel variant comes with an iMT or a six-speed automatic transmission.
|Performance Aspect||Maruti Suzuki Engage||Kia Carens|
|Petrol Engine (cc)||1998||1497|
|Petrol Power (bhp)||172 + 11||160|
|Petrol Torque (Nm)||188 + 206||253|
|Petrol Transmission||e-CVT||iMT / DCT|
|Diesel Engine (cc)||1498 (Hybrid)||1493|
|Diesel Power (bhp)||116 (Hybrid)||115|
|Diesel Torque (Nm)||250 (Hybrid)||250|
|Diesel Transmission||MT / AT (Hybrid)||iMT / AT|
Both the Maruti Suzuki Engage and the Kia Carens are built with safety in mind, and offer various features to protect the occupants and prevent accidents. Some of the common safety features that both MPVs have are:
- Six airbags
- ABS (anti-lock braking system) with EBD (electronic brake-force distribution)
- ESC (electronic stability control)
- HAC (hill assist control)
- VSM (vehicle stability management)
- All-wheel disc brakes
- Rear parking sensors
However, there are some safety features that are exclusive to each MPV. For example, the Maruti Suzuki Engage has:
- An ADAS suite that includes features like lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, etc.
- A TPMS highline that displays individual tyre pressures on the infotainment screen
- A DBC (downhill brake control) feature that helps maintain a steady speed on steep descents
- A BAS (brake assist system) feature that applies maximum braking force in emergency situations
On the other hand, the Kia Carens has:
- A three-star safety rating by the Global NCAP
- A traction control programme that prevents wheel spin on slippery surfaces
- A rear-view camera that helps in reversing and parking
- An ISOFIX child seat anchor system that secures child seats in the car
Maruti Suzuki Engage vs Kia Carens Price
The Maruti Suzuki Engage is Expected to be priced between Rs. 18 lakh and Rs. 25 lakh, depending on the variant and fuel type. The Kia Carens is priced between Rs. 10.45 lakh and Rs. 18.95 lakh, depending on the variant and fuel type. Both MPVs are available in India now.
|Price Aspect||Maruti Suzuki Engage||Kia Carens|
|Price||Rs. 18 – 25 Lakh||Rs. 10.45 – 18.95 Lakh|
|Launch Date||July 2022||March 2022|
The Maruti Suzuki Engage and the Kia Carens are two premium MPVs that offer a lot of value for money for the customers who are looking for a spacious, comfortable, feature-rich, and safe family car. Both MPVs have their own strengths and weaknesses, and cater to different segments and budgets. The Engage is more expensive, but offers more power, hybrid technology, ADAS features, and a powered tailgate. The Carens is more affordable, but offers more compact dimensions, iMT technology, a sky light sunroof, and a Bose sound system.
Ultimately, the choice between the two MPVs depends on your personal preferences, needs, and budget. You can compare them further by visiting their official websites or by booking a test drive at your nearest dealership.
Many People Read This : 1: Maruti Suzuki Engage vs Toyota Fortuner