The Mahindra Thar stands as a renowned off-road vehicle in India, celebrated for its robust design, impressive performance, and adventurous essence. Recently, Mahindra introduced two fresh variants: the Thar E and the Thar Petrol Model. Both bring new features and enhancements, but they also present distinct differences. In this blog post, we will compare the new Mahindra Thar E vs Thar Petrol Model and help you decide which one is the best fit for you.
What is the Mahindra Thar E?
The Mahindra Thar E is the electric version of the Thar. It is powered by a 40 kWh lithium-ion battery that can deliver a range of up to 250 km on a single charge. New Thar E can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 9 seconds and has a top speed of 150 km/h. The Thar E also comes with a fast-charging option that can charge the battery up to 80% in 40 minutes. The Thar E has a four-wheel drive system with three modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport. It also has a regenerative braking system that can recover some of the energy lost during braking and use it to recharge the battery.
The Thar E has a similar design and dimensions as the regular Thar, but it has some distinctive features that make it stand out. For example, it has a grille-less front fascia with LED headlights and DRLs, blue accents on the bumpers and wheel arches, and a ‘Thar.e’ badge on the tailgate. The Thar E also has a digital instrument cluster, a touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, automatic climate control, cruise control, and a sunroof. The Thar E can seat four people comfortably and has a boot space of 300 litres.
What is the Mahindra Thar Petrol Model?
The Mahindra Thar Petrol Model is the petrol-powered version of the Thar. It is equipped with a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine that can produce 150 PS of power and 320 Nm of torque. The Thar Petrol Model can be paired with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission. It also has a four-wheel drive system with a low-range gearbox and a mechanical locking differential. The Thar Petrol Model can achieve a fuel efficiency of 15.2 kmpl for the manual variant and 14.5 kmpl for the automatic variant.
The Thar Petrol Model has a similar appearance and features as the diesel model, but it has some minor differences. For example, it has a ‘mStallion’ badge on the front fender, dual exhaust pipes at the rear, and silver-finished alloy wheels. The Thar Petrol Model also has an analogue instrument cluster, a touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, manual air conditioning, steering-mounted controls, and dual airbags. The Thar Petrol Model can seat either four or six people depending on the variant and has a boot space of 180 litres.
New Mahindra Thar E vs Thar Petrol
To make it easier for you to compare the new Mahindra Thar E vs Thar Petrol Model, we have prepared a table that summarizes their main specifications and features:
|Mahindra Thar E
|Mahindra Thar Petrol Model
|2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine
|6-speed manual or automatic
|Four-wheel drive with three modes
|Four-wheel drive with low-range gearbox
|Up to 250 km
|Up to 80% in 40 minutes (fast-charging)
|15.2 kmpl (manual) / 14.5 kmpl (automatic)
|Acceleration (0-100 km/h)
|3985 x 1820 x 1920 mm
|3985 x 1820 x 1920 mm
|Four or six
|Rs. 20 lakh (estimated)
|Rs. 10.54 lakh – Rs. 14.15 lakh
The new Mahindra Thar E and Thar Petrol Model are both impressive vehicles that offer a lot of value and fun for their owners. However, they also have some pros and cons that might influence your decision. Here are some of the factors that you should consider before buying either of them:
- The Thar E is more eco-friendly, futuristic, and convenient than the Thar Petrol Model. It has zero emissions, a longer range, a faster charging time, and a smoother and quieter ride. It also has more advanced features and a more spacious cabin. However, the Thar E is also more expensive, less powerful, and less reliable than the Thar Petrol Model. It has a higher initial cost, a lower resale value, and a higher maintenance cost. It also has a limited availability of charging stations and service centers in India.
- The Thar Petrol Model is more affordable, powerful, and versatile than the Thar E. It has a lower price tag, a higher performance, and a wider choice of variants and transmissions. It also has a better availability of fuel stations and service centers in India. However, the Thar Petrol Model is also more polluting, outdated, and inefficient than the Thar E. It has higher emissions, a lower range, and a higher fuel consumption. It also has fewer features and a smaller cabin.
Also Read This:
- Tata Nexon Facelift: What’s New in the Engine and Mileage?
- Upcoming Maruti Suzuki eVX Range, Battery and Charge Time (Images Inside)
- Upcoming Ola Electric Sedan Range, Battery and Charge Time
Ultimately, the choice between the new Mahindra Thar E vs Thar Petrol Model depends on your personal preferences, budget, and lifestyle. If you are looking for a greener, smarter, and more comfortable off-roader that can save you money in the long run, then the Thar E might be the right option for you. If you are looking for a cheaper, stronger, and more flexible off-roader that can handle any terrain and situation, then the Thar Petrol Model might be the right option for you.
We hope this blog post has helped you understand the differences between the new Mahindra Thar E vs Thar Petrol Model and make an informed decision. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading!