One of India’s most popular and feature-packed compact SUVs, the Kia Sonet comes in a variety of models, engines, and transmissions. The Kia Sonet has sold over 1 lakh units since September 2020. Due to rising fuel prices and environmental concerns, many customers are seeking cheaper and greener choices. That’s why Kia India will soon launch a CNG Sonet with lower running costs and pollutants.
- 1 Kia Sonet CNG Engine and Mileage of Kia Sonet CNG
- 2 New Kia Sonet CNG Interior Features
- 3 Exterior Look
- 4 Dimensions, Boot Space, and Ground Clearance
- 5 Safety Features of Kia Sonet CNG
- 6 Kia Sonet CNG Model Price and Petrol Model Price
- 7 Other Details
- 8 Conclusion
Kia Sonet CNG Engine and Mileage of Kia Sonet CNG
The upcoming Kia Sonet CNG model will be based on the 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine that is currently available in the Sonet. This engine produces 120 PS of power and 172 Nm of torque in its normal configuration. However, when running on CNG, the power and torque figures are likely to drop slightly. The exact figures are not yet revealed by Kia India, but we expect them to be around 110 PS and 160 Nm respectively.
The Sonet CNG will come with two transmission options: a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed iMT (intelligent manual transmission) that offers clutch-less shifting. The iMT option will be unique in the segment, as no other CNG-powered compact SUV offers it.
The mileage of the Sonet CNG will depend on the CNG tank capacity and the driving conditions. The CNG tank capacity is also not yet disclosed by Kia India, but we expect it to be around 10-12 kg. Assuming an average mileage of 25 km/kg on CNG mode, the Sonet CNG could offer a range of around 250-300 km on a single fill.
Additionally, the Sonet CNG will also have a petrol mode option, which will allow it to switch to petrol when the CNG runs out or when more power is needed. The petrol mode mileage is expected to be similar to the existing Sonet turbo-petrol variants, which is around 18-19 kmpl.
New Kia Sonet CNG Interior Features
The interior features of the Kia Sonet CNG will be similar to those of the existing Sonet turbo-petrol variants. The Sonet CNG will come with a premium and spacious cabin that offers comfort and convenience for up to five occupants. Some of the key interior features of the Sonet CNG are:
- A 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, UVO Connect connected car technology, navigation, and wireless charging.
- A 4.2-inch digital instrument cluster that displays various information such as speed, fuel level, trip meter, gear indicator, etc.
- A Bose premium 7-speaker sound system with LED sound mood lights that create an immersive audio experience.
- A smart pure air purifier with virus protection that filters out harmful pollutants and bacteria from the cabin air.
- A sunroof that adds to the airy feel of the cabin and lets in natural light.
- Front ventilated seats that provide cooling and comfort in hot weather.
- A keyless entry and push-button start system that adds convenience and security.
- A rear AC vent that ensures uniform cooling for the rear passengers.
- A multi-function steering wheel with paddle shifters (for iMT variants) that offers easy control of various functions such as audio, phone, cruise control, etc.
The exterior look of the Kia Sonet CNG will be identical to that of the existing Sonet turbo-petrol variants. The Sonet CNG will feature a muscular and aggressive design that reflects its sporty and adventurous character. Some of the key exterior features of the Sonet CNG are:
- A signature tiger-nose grille with chrome accents that gives it a bold and distinctive identity.
- LED headlamps with DRLs (daytime running lights) that enhance its visibility and style.
- LED tail lamps with a heartbeat effect that create a striking impression on the road.
- Alloy wheels that add to its dynamic appeal and stability.
- Roof rails that enhance its SUV stance and offer utility for carrying extra luggage.
- A dual-tone colour option that allows customers to choose from various combinations of body colour and roof colour.
The only difference between the Kia Sonet CNG and the Sonet turbo-petrol variants in terms of exterior look will be a small ‘CNG’ sticker on the rear windscreen that will indicate the fuel type of the vehicle.
Dimensions, Boot Space, and Ground Clearance
The dimensions, boot space, and ground clearance of the Kia Sonet CNG will be the same as those of the existing Sonet turbo-petrol variants. The Sonet CNG will measure 3995 mm in length, 1790 mm in width, and 1642 mm in height. It will have a wheelbase of 2500 mm and a turning radius of 5.1 m. The boot space of the Sonet CNG will be 392 litres, which can be expand to 918 litres by folding the 60:40 split rear seats. The ground clearance of the Sonet CNG will be 205 mm, which is sufficient for tackling rough roads and speed bumps.
Safety Features of Kia Sonet CNG
The safety features of the Kia Sonet CNG will be similar to those of the existing Sonet turbo-petrol variants. The Sonet CNG will come with a host of active and passive safety features that will ensure the protection of the occupants and the vehicle. Some of the key safety features of the Sonet CNG are:
- Dual front airbags that deploy in case of a frontal collision and reduce the impact on the driver and co-driver.
- Side and curtain airbags (optional) that deploy in case of a side collision and protect the occupants from injuries.
- ABS (anti-lock braking system) with EBD (electronic brakeforce distribution) that prevent the wheels from locking up during sudden braking and distribute the brake force optimally among the wheels.
- ESC (electronic stability control) with HAC (hill assist control) that prevent the vehicle from skidding or rolling back on slippery or inclined surfaces.
- VSM (vehicle stability management) that assists the driver in maintaining control of the vehicle in case of understeer or oversteer situations.
- TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) that displays the real-time tyre pressure information and alerts the driver if it falls below the recommended levels.
- ISOFIX child seat anchors that allow secure installation of child seats in the rear seats.
- Rear parking sensors and camera that assist the driver in parking and reversing the vehicle safely.
Also Read This: Upcoming 7 Seater Electric Car in India
Kia Sonet CNG Model Price and Petrol Model Price
The CNG model price and petrol model price of the Sonet will depend on the variant and transmission options chosen by the customers. Kia India has not yet revealed the official prices of the Sonet CNG, but we expect it to cost around Rs 70,000 to Rs 90,000 more than the equivalent Sonet turbo-petrol variants. The current ex-showroom prices of the Sonet turbo-petrol variants are as follows:
|HTK Plus||6-speed iMT||9.49 lakh|
|HTK Plus||7-speed DCT||10.49 lakh|
|HTX||6-speed iMT||9.99 lakh|
|HTX Plus||6-speed iMT||11.65 lakh|
|GTX Plus||6-speed iMT||11.99 lakh|
|GTX Plus||7-speed DCT||12.99 lakh|
Based on these prices, we estimate that the Sonet CNG variants could be priced as follows:
|HTK Plus||6-speed iMT||10.19 lakh|
|HTK Plus||7-speed DCT||11.19 lakh|
|HTX||6-speed iMT||10.69 lakh|
|HTX Plus||6-speed iMT||12.35 lakh|
|GTX Plus||6-speed iMT||12.69 lakh|
|GTX Plus||7-speed DCT||13.69 lakh|
These prices are indicative and subject to change depending on various factors such as taxes, discounts, offers, etc.
The other details of the Sonet CNG are as follows:
- The expected launch date of the Sonet CNG is July 2023¹²³.
- The expected warranty period of the Sonet CNG is three years or one lakh kilometres, whichever comes first.
- The expected maintenance cost of the Sonet CNG is lower than that of the Sonet turbo-petrol, as CNG is cheaper and cleaner than petrol.
- The expected colour options of the Sonet CNG are Intense Red, Glacier White Pearl, Steel Silver, Gravity Grey, Aurora Black Pearl, Beige Gold, Intelligence Blue, and dual-tone options.
The upcoming Kia Sonet CNG model is a promising addition to the compact SUV segment in India, as it will offer a more economical and eco-friendly alternative to the existing petrol and diesel models. The Sonet CNG will cater to the needs of environmentally conscious consumers who are looking for a practical and efficient SUV without compromising on style and features. With its powerful engine, advanced features, and safety technologies, the Sonet CNG is poised to make a significant impact on the Indian automotive market.
Also Read This: New Hyundai Alcazar CNG Launch Date & Price in India
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- When will the Kia Sonet CNG be launched?
- The expected launch date of the Kia Sonet CNG is July 2023.
- What will be the engine specifications of the Sonet CNG?
- The Kia Sonet CNG will be based on the 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine, expected to produce around 110 PS of power and 160 Nm of torque when running on CNG.
- What transmission options will be available for the Sonet CNG?
- The Sonet CNG will come with two transmission options: a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed iMT (intelligent manual transmission).
- What will be the mileage of the Sonet CNG?
- The mileage of the Sonet CNG will depend on the CNG tank capacity and driving conditions, but it is expected to offer around 25 km/kg on CNG mode.
- How much will the Sonet CNG cost compared to the petrol variants?
- The Sonet CNG is expected to cost around Rs 70,000 to Rs 90,000 more than the equivalent Sonet turbo-petrol variants, depending on the variant and transmission chosen.